We are no long accepting applications to our 2018 Awards programme
The application deadline was Friday 9 March. The following information is for reference only.
We believe that all talented young people deserve the chance to progress in their music making. That’s why, every year, we award up to £100,000 in grants to exceptional young instrumentalists in need of support.
We invite applications from young instrumentalists, playing any musical genre, to join our Awards programme. Award winners receive flexible funding towards musical costs (e.g. tuition, instrument costs, travel etc.) plus individual support. This may comprise mentoring, workshops with professional musicians, the chance to observe professional orchestras and other ensembles in rehearsal, free tickets to concerts and performance opportunities.
Our Awards programme is means-tested: our key criteria are musical talent and financial need. Whatever genre the young musician studies, they can evidence their ability in a number of ways; it is not essential to have taken formal exams.
How do I find out if a young person is eligible?
Please read the following information before starting an application:
If you think the young person meets the eligibility criteria please do the following:
1. Register for an account or log back into your existing account on our application portal. You will have an account if you applied last year (forgotten passwords can be reset).
2. Complete an eligibility questionnaire. This should be done by the young musician’s parent(s)/carer(s). A supporting school or organisation can complete an eligibility questionnaire only in cases where the parent/carer is not in a position to.
The online eligibility-questionnaire and application can be completed on a computer, mobile phone or tablet device.
What is involved in applying?
After successfully passing the eligibility stage, you’ll be asked to:
1. Answer a number of application questions about the young person’s music making
2. Send us a a short audition video
3. Request recommendations from the young person’s instrumental teacher(s), school and an optional, additional, musical recommendation
The application deadline was Friday 9 March 2018.
When will I hear?
Our adjudication process takes place during March and April. The young musician may be invited to attend an audition in London if they are seeking a high-level Award (more than £500). Award offers will be made in May 2018.
AYM will provide an offline version of the application form only in exceptional circumstances where completing an online form would be a barrier to applying. Please contact Awards@a-y-m.org.uk
Our main Awards are called Robert Lewin Scholarships and we grant a number of special Awards which are listed here. There is one application process for all Awards. To apply visit our application portal.
Got a specific question?
If you have a specific question about applying for an Award please complete the query form below.